PDA

View Full Version : Drawing Faces... HOW?!

Cel
01-17-2006, 08:04 AM
Damnit, I've tried and I've tried... But I friggin cant get it right. I gotta be able to draw faces by the time I'm done with the sketch animation. :Blahblahb

Anybody got any good tutorials? I dont care if its realistic drawing, or anime style... Any books I can downl.. I mean, buy? Anything??? :confused:

Monsieur Rat
01-17-2006, 08:23 AM
just draw it... i mean honestly, you can draw curves and jagged edges well enough, just look at a face, your own maybe, and draw what you see, theres a nose, two eyes, a mouth... play around on paper first, sketch on your comp, upload and we'll critique it all

Cel
01-17-2006, 08:28 AM
Yeah, um, here's the thing. I draw with the mouse... No tablet. It makes things ALOT harder. :(

Sangfroid
01-17-2006, 09:00 AM
do you have a mirror?

- end ~ tutorial.

NOOB!
01-17-2006, 09:07 AM
hhhmmm cel,heres a tut i did ages ago...actually it was crit for sumone else,but u get the point.

HEAD CONSTRUCTION,i worked on a simple thingy,i'm doin this more or less the andrew loomis way.

Note that this is just showing how to construct a head,u shud not really spend that long drawing construction lines,they are only a rough guide,but obviously i spent longer on em just to show ya.

Now my faces ain't perfect either,so don't take everything in :gasp:

http://www.animationforum.net/users/noob/images/concrit.jpg

PART 1- i have labeled with letters as u can see,heres the explanation

a) start of by drawing a circle

B) find the center point,and draw a horizontal and vertical through it.The horizontal line is your BROW LINE

c) these two lines are where we chop off a little bit on two sides of the circle,because the head is not round all over.

d)u now want to continue the vertical line down.

e) mark off areas,halfway between the top of the circle and the brow line is your hair line

Just at the bottom of the circle is where ur nose ends,and not too far under that is your chin or end of the face.

PART 2/3 -just a clearer image.

PART 4 -this shows u more or less where u can lay down the features.

PART 5 - example of end product.

I'm not goin to get into explaining how to place the features,theres not much to know,its kinda self explanatory,but can be difficult to get. for now i think you should focus on head construction front view.

and i forgot to mention the ears usually come start from the brow line and end at the nose end.

but if you have trouble place features,let me or DST veterans like COM,ANGHEN or HUMBLE know,since they have quite a hefty bit of knowledge too.

NOTE AGAIN : that even i see things off in my example,so please keep that in mind.

Cel
01-17-2006, 09:08 AM
Unfortunatly, I am no model... And sure dont look anything close to one.

-_-

Like, come on. Where did you learn to draw? So hard to give some real advice?

EDIT:

WOOO, thanks noob!! I'll start reading :)

Cel
01-17-2006, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the tutorial! At least now I can draw a head right. :D

Well, now I need to know how to draw eyes, nose, mouth, and the like. :p

NOOB!
01-17-2006, 09:32 AM
that all comes from observation,looking at ur self or another,it will all fall into place.

but these things take a while cel,i would always tell someone to tackle their drawing disabilities before even attempting to make an animated short.

but u won't listen lol,get out a mirror!!

Cel
01-17-2006, 09:38 AM
Well, I aint got a while. lol

I need a crash course... I tried drawing Anime style faces.. But flash screws them up when zooming out. :S

Sangfroid
01-17-2006, 10:27 AM
Unfortunatly, I am no model... And sure dont look anything close to one.

-_-

Like, come on. Where did you learn to draw? So hard to give some real advice?

EDIT:

WOOO, thanks noob!! I'll start reading :)

you don't need to be. The only way to learn is to look :). The harder you look the more you will see.

if your strugling with eyes draw 100 eyes from observation. If you're strugling with noses do 100 noses from observation etc.

there is no trick or technique that will suplament this for you.

Cel
01-17-2006, 10:29 AM
I found some book online to draw anime stuff. Its not that good.. But at least I see what it should look like :P

NOOB!
01-17-2006, 10:56 AM
don't learn from anime cel.

most anime artists are classically trained before the even use that style anyway.

bah u'll learn in time.for now the only advice and can give u is the same as sang's.

Cel
01-17-2006, 11:00 AM
I assume it will take me a week to complete the other 14.6 seconds of sketch... By then I must be able to draw faces... :Blahblahb

Hmm.. Now that I think of it, I might actually make my literature notebook usefull! LOL

Bussman
01-17-2006, 11:25 AM
The Loomis books have faces in it, a big section too, i think its in Fun with the pencil

Noob had them hosted here a while back; do u still have em noob for Cel?

NOOB!
01-17-2006, 12:28 PM
i removed it a while back,i still have it i think,but i'll have to upload to savefile.com when i have time.

i would just tell u to go to www.saveloomis.org where they had all the pages up there,but unfortunately sum dumbass lawyers requested they be removed from the site,even though the book hasn't been in print for like 50 years lol. :rolleyes:

elephant
01-18-2006, 12:00 PM
http://www.anticz.com/heads.htm

Cel
01-18-2006, 12:02 PM
Pretty cool tutorial. Thanks :)