Home Features User CP Facebook Twitter Google+ Youtube Support Us
Home FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Animation Forum > Production > Software Specific Subforums > After effects

Old 03-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
sotsog
New Blood

Default 2d Animation Help

I've been following online tutorials from lydna.com and I'm very new to AE. I wanted to animate my characters from my webcomic (Maybe NSFW) http://sotsog.net/archive/23-necronomicon/ and after reading up and experimenting with Flash it turns out AE would be a better fit.

The tutorials I'm following are incredibly helpful but the character used in the demonstration has some different replacement animations as well as a completely different mouth. For my characters the mouth is always at a side view and I don't mind a small blink or hole in the animation when going left to right but this has lead to some issues.

I'm at the point in the tutorials where I'm creating a master control where my head will continue to turn on the slider and allow my to easily change the mouths. In the example the demo character's mouth moves from left to right in a fluid motion and used an expression with: a=thisComplayer("head").timeRemap;
b=timeToFrames(a);
b*13.5.

My mouth does not move at a constand rate like the example.
Here I am at frame 0

Frame 10

Frame 20

On Frame 10 and 20 they are kinda in the same spot. my x/y positions read
146.5, 165.0
105.5, 167.7
102.5, 167.5

As you can see its not as simple as from left to right and i need three points in my expressions equation. Now to make matters worse I would also like to flip/or reflect my mouth between frames 1 and 10. Hopefully since they are already all within the mouth comp all my replacement mouths for animation will also be flipped when the head is turned in that manner. The course I'm taking does not cover this and I'm having trouble finding a solution through search engines. Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by sotsog; 03-11-2012 at 02:25 PM.
sotsog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
J.K. Riki
2D Animator

I wish I could be helpful, but I don't even know what AE is, and this sounds like a program issue rather than a strictly animation one. Sorry bout that, but good luck with it!
Old 03-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
sotsog
New Blood

I'm using After Effects. Honestly the whole tutorial has been a breeze and I highly suggest it for anyone who wants to have that style of animation. In my case I wanted to use a custom stroke that would force me to use far to much replacement animation with Illustrator symbols in Flash. Luckily someone on this forum suggested AE for my dilemma and it seems like a perfect fit. I have a large amount of control from my imported files.

Right now I'm just rigging my character and I would think the expression animation could be fixed with a simple formula animating point a to b and b to c. Sadly I'm still not used to the expression formulas and have not figured of an answer.

As for reflecting the mouths, as long as I set up an animation expression in my main comp I believe it would work, reflecting all of my mouths at the same time.

Last edited by sotsog; 03-11-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:57 PM   #4
sotsog
New Blood

I shyed all my layers to just my head, mouths, and master control. I am still very new to this I was hoping I could just go through the tutorials. If this dosn't work I'll start from square one.
And from my little knowledge the character rig seemed to be working great up until this one issue. I planned on a simple animation process much like South Park so my main concerns are just animating the mouth/eyes/ and arms.

Frames 0-20 are the same as previous post.
X position is linked to my head time-remap.

I think what I want to do is pause the animation between frames 10 and 20 so as the head keeps turning my mouth will stay still between fram 10-20. The keyframes set right now are just for reference, was suggested in tutorial.
Or maybe I should just not link my mouths to my head turn at all and just animate it when my head turns manually?

Last edited by sotsog; 03-14-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:43 PM   #5
animationoutsourced.com
New Blood

Send a message via Skype™ to animationoutsourced.com

You may try to enroll in some animation schools for tutorials.

Good luck

Cartoon Series, Custom Animation, Animated Explainer Videos, Whiteboard Animated Explainer Videos, Demo Videos, Safety Videos, How-To Videos, Training Videos, Explanation Videos, Campaigns, Commercials, Outsourcing of Animation Productions to the Philippines.

AnimationOutsourced.com
http://www.facebook.com/animationoutsourced.com
animationoutsourced.com is offline   Reply With Quote