Home Features User CP Facebook Twitter Google+ Youtube Support Us
Home FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Animation Forum > Production > Software Specific Subforums > Misc Software

Old 09-19-2009, 08:31 PM   #1
perfectprodigy
New Blood

Default Best Animation Software for 2D Animation

I need to know the best software for a action based animation price is no problem, so which are the best that i can use? (i have been using a horrid redraw every frame software up to now, but that was for fun.) Mind you that i already have everything else to use the software, the best of the best(top notch computer, scanner, and drawing pad.) now i just need the software... though i am hoping to only have to redraw my characters a minimum of 80 times and not have to redraw them frame by frame, lol -_- so if you could post maybe the 5 best software that would be a great help

p.s.
im half doing this for a business and half for myself.
Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
And teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti."
perfectprodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 01:03 PM   #2
D.T. Nethery
Two D or Not Two D

Default Re: Best Animation Software for 2D Animation

There is no single "best " software. (No magic bullet) Some software packages do certain things very well and some do other things very well. None do everything well.

It's the animator who makes the animation, not the software.

You wrote: "I need to know the best software for a action based animation"

What do you mean by "action based animation" . What is it you want to do ? (can you give an example of the look you're going for ?)

Also, can you clarify what you mean by :
"i am hoping to only have to redraw my characters a minimum of 80 times and not have to redraw them frame by frame"

Honestly, redrawing a character frame-by-frame on 1's is the best way to do fast action animation sequences (if that's what you meant by "action animation").

Traditional 2D animation is labor-intensive , no getting around that. It involves redrawing characters frame-by-frame at least every 2 frames (on 2's) or every single frame (on 1's) .
D.T. Nethery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
D.T. Nethery
Two D or Not Two D

If you don't want to draw very much , but you do want to do 2D animation maybe take a look at Anime Studio.
D.T. Nethery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:33 PM   #4
perfectprodigy
New Blood

ah, thank you for answering my questions(sorry for slow reply, its been hard getting on the net lately ) it looks like there is no way around the redrawing the action scene thing... though i am debating on anime studio, i could, per say, make a few 2d, 3dish models, then put them in a 2d world maybe... but as for action, let me see if i can find a good exmple

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSZkMCyj3KI

at 2:43 is a good example, but also another good way to put it are the action scenes from Avatar(yeah, im 18 and i like it) but as i said, i am just thinking of using anime studio... though i wasnt people to be able to get chills from the scenes that give me chills as i invision them in my head, and i dont know if you can get that effect from anime studio
Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
And teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti."
perfectprodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:11 AM   #5
Byron
---

Yes - FlipBook is very good, but if price is no object then I would suggest TVPaint.

TVP can do everything that FlipBook can do, but it can also do a whole lot more. Plus, FlipBook seems to have stagnated whereas TVP is constantly evolving, and input from the userbase is taken seriously by the developers. It's definitely worth a look.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:42 PM   #6
indie
eccentric filmaker

Send a message via MSN to indie Send a message via Skype™ to indie

I use Flash cs3 and photoshop, i was taught to use flash merely as a rendering device, i tend to just hand draw frames the good old fashion hand breaking way scan them in import to flash sort pacing out etc then color in photoshop

My Website and facebook -

http://www.sombrethoughts.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Somber...82851311733691
indie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:15 PM   #7
Tyler Durden
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. Nethery View Post
If you don't want to draw very much , but you do want to do 2D animation maybe take a look at Anime Studio.
Anime Studio is pretty good but you do need to have some drawing skills to use it. You also need to rig your character.

Now if you don't want any hassles then I suggest you try CrazyTalk Animator. Since you will not need to draw, rig or do key-by-key motions. Inside there are tons of presets and you can even create your own. I downloaded CrazyTalk animator here

Last edited by Tyler Durden; 02-22-2011 at 02:43 AM.
Tyler Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:07 AM   #8
Tyler Durden
New Blood

Hey,

Also, if you want to see how professional companies are using CrazyTalk Animator, then check out this link i found in Schooltube > http://www.schooltube.com/video/b38b...ion-Commercial

Last edited by Tyler Durden; 02-22-2011 at 02:43 AM.
Tyler Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:30 AM   #9
totally2d
Rising force

Most of the 2d Apps seem to have been mentioned now. Personally I prteffer Toon Boom Studio I still use version 5 but 6 now has bones which could reduce the strain when doing your actions.

If money wasnt an issue I would move to Toon Boom Animate PRO you can visit Toon Boom dot com and check out their wide range of products.

Those who use Toon Boom and Anime can download templates on MY SITE
totally2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:18 PM   #10
adnan0343
New Blood

now ... this is my question to everybody here ...
anime studio is good vector software
flipbook is for kids
tvp is a bitmap based software

now when doing 2d animation raster based software it is really hard to keep ur lines clean because u will be drawing with a pen tablet and its very hard to make proper curve when ur dealing with so many images

with only vector graphic u need to draw stuff point to point or to import Ur hand drawn sketch and the character will still look very childish and not very professional

now what i want is u guys to point out a software that has following functions
for example if i draw a character on photoshop and save it as a jpeg and use it as key frame and then import it in the software and then trace it.... this way drawing the key-frames wud be easy and the work will be more efficient we will not have to scan each and everything now there is a software for that and that is retas pro .... buying that software isnt a problem but learning it is because there aren't any tutorials available on the net ...
so what i want from you guys is to find any type of learning video that teaches u or if u have to buy an e book that teaches u to use this software pls do so ... or a pdf file or whatever please help me out here
i cannot buy it as i belong to a very poor household ... i would be very pleased if u helped me out here thnx

Last edited by adnan0343; 04-13-2011 at 04:22 PM.
adnan0343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:39 AM   #11
toberc_123
New Blood

Default frame-by-frame animation on Anime Studio?

Is it possible to do traditional frame-by-frame animation on Anime Studio Pro? I don't really like the look of cut-out animation like the kind you get in Southpark.

Last edited by toberc_123; 07-10-2011 at 12:39 PM. Reason: clarity
toberc_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:46 AM   #12
andrewgthomas

Send a message via Skype™ to andrewgthomas

@toberc

If you want frame by frame go to another software

Anime is FOR cutout...do your homework before you buy a crap software
Old 07-09-2011, 11:21 AM   #13
indie
eccentric filmaker

i personally would stay well away from anime pro, i find it to be limiting programme and can usually tell when someones used it.

Try monkey jam its free and its great i use to use it for my hand drawn animations, other wise theres flash , TV paint, toonboom etc but they will cost u.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:39 PM   #14
toberc_123
New Blood

@ Andrewgthomas
Are you implying that Anime Studio Pro is crap software? I agree that it is inappropriate for traditional animation but I think that describing it as "crap" is a little misleading. It's perfect if you need to churn out animation e.g. a cartoon series. My only complaint is that it makes animation a bit too easy.

@indie
how would you rate Monkeyjam against other free traditional animation software like Pencil?
toberc_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:03 PM   #15
andrewgthomas

toberc_123:

Yes, it is crap. Nothing other than crap. I wish i could describe it in another way but its just crap. The bone system makes animation look unnatural and almost too smooth. The lip sync is far from fully developed. Drawing is almost impossible within the program. It's not misleading, its the truth. C R A P
Old 07-10-2011, 03:11 PM   #16
neeters_guy

This is a pretty shallow opinion. For more informed points of view, visit the lostmarble forums. All the benefits and problems of Anime Studio are discussed with great detail and gusto: Lostmarble Forum
Old 07-10-2011, 05:03 PM   #17
andrewgthomas

I'm just sayin Anime Studio is like cheating. People on this forum try to critique and give advice on animation, when theyre using anime studio.
Anime studio is not for professionals, as far as im concerned, it hasnt been used for anything major. And if it was, i could tell by the cheap bone system.
If your gonna pay 199.99 for AS why not use a real program like TB or Flash
Old 07-11-2011, 12:35 AM   #18
jbrushes
I draw...

Send a message via Skype™ to jbrushes

If you don't like the cut-out style then you may want to look at TBA, TVP Animation, Retas. Any of these programs will allow you to scan in images and I'm fairly certain each has a peg alignment feature. Don't know how accurate flash is when it comes to tweening complicated shape- that would be a question for indie.

You may even- since you sound like you want something that can do tweening for you, think about a 3d program and render it out in a 2d format. But, what you gain in one, you may lose in the other; less drawing more rendering. Of course then you are also talking about rigging as well in 3d. I know 3ds Max had ink and paint once upon a time but it was a donkey to setup and render it (see below - this one took, as is, almost 24 hours to render with Ink And Paint 3dsmax).

Old 07-11-2011, 07:39 AM   #19
indie
eccentric filmaker

I rate monkey Jam highly i use to use it myself when i was starting out and i still use it for stopmotion pencils good but it still has a lot of annoying bugs in it and has a tend to crash a lot. Though perhaps these bugs have been fixed i havent used it in a while.

Anime studio isent my cup of tea as i dont like the over use of bone tools in animaton but i wouldnt say its a crap programme thats being slightly offensivue to those that use it well. It has its place in an animators tool box and is really built to be used for a certain genre of animation,

But if you really want to learn to do frame by fram tradtional animation then u dont need something thats all singing and dancing , simple free programmes should be enough to get you started

Old 07-12-2011, 12:09 PM   #20
andrewgthomas

Sorry, i just have strong feelings against Anime Studio. I bought the software last year, and was very upset with it. i believe on the box it says something about production-quality animation...which i am yet to create or see.