Home Features User CP Facebook Twitter Google+ Youtube Support Us
Home FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Animation Forum > Animation Studio > WIP - Animations

Old 04-11-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
Raybees
animator,& cat enthusiast

Default Animation for games class

Hey, I'm taking a class that focuses on game animations, so mostly cycles and stuff, just looking on how I can push my animations or any tips, anyways our first, assignment is an idle, I used my own rig for this, it's my first rig so, it's kinda a pain in my arse, anyways check it out, heres my first try at the idle.

Raybees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
phoenixnight8
New Blood

personally id say think about how you act when your idle and use that for inspiration at the moment to me it looks like your character is waiting to go to the toilet or something, its a good start just think how youd naturally wait idle
phoenixnight8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
Raybees

You are definitely right phoenix, I wanted to make it seem as if she were scoping out her surroundings, I think if I keep her left leg from pivoting this would work much better although I think it is still kind of plain, and doesn't show much character, here is a new idle I did this morning, I think it works much better.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
Terro
Greg K.

Send a message via Skype™ to Terro

Make sure to add in "keep alive". Currently as she lifts her hand the rest of her body seems stiff and linear.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:29 PM   #5
tyree

I would be suspect of animation game classes. generally animation for games is bad. partially because a lot of it is looping and animation is one aspect of games. usually not the main aspect for the creator of the game. so the animation tends not to be good. Im referring specifically to 3d animation.

thats not the case with 2d animated games I would urge you to look at 2d games and note how lively the characters always are. thats because in 2d games animation plays a larger role. opposed to 3d where a game can get by without good animation
tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:18 PM   #6
neeters_guy

However, don't get idea that being an animator in the game industry is easier than in the film industry. It may be more demanding since the video game industry generates more revenue than movies. As usual, talent is key and graduates from animation colleges can do quite well in the game industry.

Last edited by neeters_guy; 04-11-2012 at 09:23 PM.
neeters_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #7
Raybees

It also depends on the game type and company, 2d games look better, because they only have to concentrate on one camera, where as in a 3d game the player can control the camera so the animator has to make the animation look good from all angles. If playing a fighting game such as street fighter 4, the animations are great because it is 3d, but everything is shown in one angle. Also allot of games use mocap, and some companies will do little to push the motion capture, and just plain human movement looks bad, like bethesda games, others push it really well and have some great arcs, such as dead space. It all depends on what you're playing, I've seen some great game animations, and I've seen some horrible ones, but it's what I want to do and hopefully, with the help from you guys I can achieve some great animations, and help shape the future of game animations to be something that is not looked at as bad.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #8
tyree

I have less and less respect for motion capture in games with a few exceptions soul calibur but I think the last one was hand animated, fade to black. you may not have heard of it but its was a side scroller adventure game

one camera does play a part in 2d but the characters and cameras are not always static they tend to rotate around

when you choose to do 3d your choosing to deal with the freedom and problems that come with it. making the character look good when the camera isnt fixed shouldnt be a problem and its something you know going in. has to be addressed
Old 04-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #9
neeters_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raybees View Post
...but it's what I want to do and hopefully, with the help from you guys I can achieve some great animations, and help shape the future of game animations to be something that is not looked at as bad.
You're in the right place. The SF Bay Area is a hotspot for video games (EA, Sega, SCEA, LucasArts) and movies (Pixar, Dreamworks, Wild Brain), not to mention multimedia colleges (Ex'pression, Academy of Art University, and the online school, Animation Mentor). Good luck on your endeavors.

Last edited by neeters_guy; 04-12-2012 at 04:15 PM.
neeters_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:55 AM   #10
Raybees

yup currently attending ex'pression, lovin it.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:40 AM   #11
Raybees

Worked out my lower body a bit more, looking a little more alive and less stiff.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #12
Raybees

Default Spider-Man 3 hit combo

This is a three hit combo that was assigned to us, I wanted to practice going back to the idle, just finished blocking:

Old 04-24-2012, 07:19 PM   #13
Raybees

here is a single hit I had to do check it out and critique please:

Old 04-26-2012, 03:49 AM   #14
Lucinda12
New Blood

Wow some of this stuff is seriously http://www.publicliabilityinsurance.me.uk/, wish i could do some like that!!

Last edited by Lucinda12; 05-23-2012 at 03:48 AM.
Lucinda12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #15
Raybees

This is a death sequence, we were assigned, I used a dinosaur

Old 05-01-2012, 12:03 AM   #16
tyree

is there any focus on general animation in your course. there is much more to animation than a single action
Old 05-01-2012, 01:06 AM   #17
Raybees

yea we have to do 8 cycles, an idle, walk, run, hit reaction, death sequence, single hit, 3 hit combo, and a dance. On top of this we must do a lip sync that is 10 seconds or longer. I have alot of these blocked out, but I still know places that can be improved, so I'll put them up soon.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #18
Raybees

Heres, my finished 8 cycles, guys thanks for all your help!!

Old 05-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #19
Raybees

My first lip sync in 3d: