Home FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Animation Forum > Main Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-16-2009, 02:29 PM   #1
Sly Studios
Scottish Ninja

Default Scottish Ninjas

Synopsis:

A thousand years ago

A well liquored Scott wandered the seaside, discovered a mysterious bottle and drank its contents.

Unbeknown to him, it contained the trapped spirit of an ancient Japanese warrior!

Now with two spirits, the way of the Scottish Ninja was born!

He adopted three young orphaned lads to train in the ancient ways.

Now grown, they are sent to America to find their place in the world.

Once there, they begin their quest for booze, adventure, and the American dream!

[UTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/v/DW8hEIcT0H8[/UTUBE]
Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW8hEIcT0H8

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

Above is simply a montage of clips with music over top. It's goal is to show the visual style, animation, and some action. We are putting the final touched on a 20 minute pilot episode. But before we release it to the world we are looking to hear some feedback and talk shop with fellow artists and animation lovers. There is plenty of content to show off if you guys are interested in seeing more.

All thoughts and impressions are welcome.
Sly Studios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:46 PM   #2
Sly Studios
Scottish Ninja

Default More Videos

Here are a few short character vignettes, we just finished up, to give a little insight into the characters while also showing some clips from the upcoming pilot episode.

[UTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/v/T96eQvKIhZI[/UTUBE]

[UTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/v/ALUFCnsOkuM[/UTUBE]

[UTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/v/D5jeIiJvixQ[/UTUBE]

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?
Old 01-06-2010, 09:10 PM   #3
Duncan Wells
Writer

Default Don't Be Afraid Of The Penis

I watched all of them and I liked all of them. My only suggestion is that you should not to be afraid of the penis. Show it. Never mind the censored bar. In fact, all of the scottish warriors should have at least a hit of their penis swinging from beneath their kilts at all times. It would make it funnier and it could be just the hook these characters need. As long as your target audience isn't childern. As a note, my name (Duncan) translates to "brown scottish warrior".
Duncan Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:24 PM   #4
Sly Studios
Scottish Ninja

Default Embrace The Penis...LOVE the penis

Thanks for the feed back Duncan. It wasn't that we were so much afraid of showing the penis, but rather enjoyed the concept of a ridiculously big censored bar and the fact that it draws just as much attention as the bare penis would, thus making it counter productive. But I see your point of going all out (pardon the pun) with the irreverence. I will bring this up with the gang and see what they think. We may very well use full monty shots from now on.

By the way, I have told many people "Don't Be Afraid Of The Penis" but it usually ends with me getting pepper spray in my eyes. Yet in this context, your suggestion makes perfect sense. Go figure.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:04 AM   #5
jipjip
Neurotic to the bone!

Very funny. I would leave the censor bar in, that really made me laugh
My only criticism would be that the second guy, Finn I think, sounded more Irish than scottish, but truthfully most folk probably wont even notice hehe!
Great characters, will keep my eye out for this!

Also this made me laugh A LOT.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly Studios View Post
By the way, I have told many people "Don't Be Afraid Of The Penis" but it usually ends with me getting pepper spray in my eyes. Yet in this context, your suggestion makes perfect sense. Go figure.
jipjip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:36 PM   #6
Duncan Wells
Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly Studios View Post
LOL...Oh yes, the old pepper spray in the eyes trick. I hate that one. Gotta say though, it's a heck of a lot better than the old boot-in-the-balls trick. OUCH!!!
Duncan Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:53 PM   #7
Sly Studios
Scottish Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by jipjip View Post
My only criticism would be that the second guy, Finn I think, sounded more Irish than scottish, but truthfully most folk probably wont even notice hehe!
Good catch on that one. He actually is Irish, but he comes to learn that fact down the road. I know it makes no sense that an Irish baby, raised by an old Scottish man, would grow up to have an Irish accent...but in their world, it makes perfect sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan Wells View Post
LOL...Oh yes, the old pepper spray in the eyes trick. I hate that one. Gotta say though, it's a heck of a lot better than the old boot-in-the-balls trick. OUCH!!!
Looks like you and I have been in similar situations, Duncan. Be it balls or eyes, any round body parts have felt the wrath of another person's scorn.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:50 PM   #8
Sly Studios
Scottish Ninja

Default Another one

[UTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/v/tyrxV-kGLeo[/UTUBE]
Old 01-11-2010, 03:28 PM   #9
Terro
Greg K.

Send a message via Skype™ to Terro

That was really cool. Enjoyed watching all the clips, I especially like the 2D shading style. It give the series a unique look. How did you decide on the final look and feel? I'm just delving into texturing/lighting and would love to pick your brain on the subject.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:57 PM   #10
Sly Studios
Scottish Ninja

Default Look And Feel

Well Terro, that question covers a broad range, so I will give a broad answer and you can ask further specifics after the fact. When we designed all the characters, we simply went after a look we liked without thinking about the medium in which it would be produced. I wanted characters to have a clean, simple look, with enough detail to properly emote and relate to the audience, but not get too caught up in details (IE-anime) or too stylized that you are constantly reminded of the fact that you are watching a cartoon and risk losing any drama in the story. (IE- super thick silhouette lines, unnatural proportions, long rubbery limbs, etc.) Once we achieved a style we liked on paper, we had to think about how to make it a reality. We are not a large crew here, so the idea of animating it all by hand (be it ourselves, or outsourcing) was too much of an investment in both time and money. So then we decided cel shading was the way to go. While it is heavy in the pre-production stage, it allows the production side of things to progress a lot faster. During that pre-production phase, we built and rebuilt every element in the computer until it matched our paper sketches as close as possible. So the final look and feel was born from that gray area between original concepts and the limitations of cel-shading. I would say we achieved about 90% of the original look of the concept art. During the production of the pilot, we got some ideas to help achieve that final 10%, but have yet to implement them.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:28 PM   #11
Sly Studios
Scottish Ninja

Default Concept to Final

Here is an example of the concept art vs the final product in regards to my prior post.

There are things about the concept art I wish remained in the final version, and there are things in the final version I find I like better than in the concept art. It's that compromise that shaped the final look and feel. But there are things we will improve upon in the next round.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:14 PM   #12
flashcartoons
Lavalle Lee

Send a message via AIM to flashcartoons Send a message via Skype™ to flashcartoons

more dave! more dave!
flashcartoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:35 PM   #13
Sly Studios
Scottish Ninja

Default More Dave!

It looks like Dave is becoming a fan favorite! He'll have plenty of great moments in the pilot. But until then, here are some concept art and final model sheet images for you.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:05 PM   #14
Sly Studios
Scottish Ninja

Default Background Art

Here is some art showcasing the world of the Scottish Ninjas.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:46 AM   #15
Sly Studios
Scottish Ninja

Default New Animation

Here is the latest character moment.

[UTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/v/gJEZXaUhkUs[/UTUBE]
Old 01-27-2010, 08:39 PM   #16
Sly Studios
Scottish Ninja

Default Executioner Model Sheet

360 degrees of EVIL!

Old 01-28-2010, 12:12 PM   #17
Terro
Greg K.

Send a message via Skype™ to Terro

These look great, is there a way we could see the wireframe, I'm still amazed at the level of cel-shading you were able to achieve.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:24 PM   #18
The-free-Ed-project
New Blood

Thumbs up

Wow this is 5/5 i like the ninja turtle on the stall, the roomate is like shaggy exept more high. Keep the censor bar it's so funny, just having a penis wouldn't be funny
The-free-Ed-project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:38 AM   #19
Sly Studios
Scottish Ninja

Who can resist a TMNT glory hole? Thanks for the great feedback. It's much appreciated.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:36 AM   #20
The-free-Ed-project
New Blood

I know you probably get nagged a lot but when do you think your eta for the pilot episode is?
The-free-Ed-project is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pilot episode, scottish ninjas, trailer, videoclip